Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How do you disable Microsoft bluetooth enumerator in XP SP3?

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
shawn w

How do you disable Microsoft bluetooth enumerator in XP SP3?

#1 Post by shawn w » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:16 am

I recently upgraded the HD in my T42 (320gigs of space now) Everything went well, but when I turn on the bluetooth, I get both "IBM integrated bluetooth III, and Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator listed in device manager. I don't have the usuall "My Bluetooth Places" and all that. I had to deal with this on my previous OS install on this computer. Pretty sure I had to disable the microsoft driver, and let the IBM one take over, and then I had my "bluetooth places" folder, and it was a much nicer driver, than the geniric Microsoft one. Well I completely updated the computer before installing or changing anything on it this time. Somewhere along the way in SP3 they have change the bluetooth around. I can't seem to disable the Microsoft driver at all. Evertime I try to install the IBM, it just reinstalls the Microsft driver. How can I get my old IBM bluetooth back?

Thanks,
Shawn

sojourner

Re: How do you disable Microsoft bluetooth enumerator in XP SP3?

#2 Post by sojourner » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 am

Hi Shawn and welcome to the forums!

Try the following to prevent MS BT from installing:

1) rename the following file, BTH.INF (in %windir%\INF)
.... maybe call it BTH.INF.Microsofts BT
2) in device manager, uninstall MS BT drivers
3) reboot

All the best!
IBM Thinkpad T41 Home | X31 Travel | X60 fun
2GHz Dothan (X60 C2D, X31 1.7 Banias), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD Multi-Burner, IBM 11b/g, Bluetooth II, Docks
multi-boot (98SE, W2K, XP PRO, Win7, Linux Mint 10)

shawn w

#3 Post by shawn w » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:49 am

Thing is I can't find a bth.inf file in that folder. I do have these files:

bth
bth.PNF
bthpan
bthpan.PNF
bthprint
bthprint.PNF
bthspp
bthspp.PNF

No bth.inf. Any more help? I tried renaming the"bth" file to "bth.old" and the "bth.PNF" file to bth.PNF.old. I then rebooted but nothing changed.

Thanks,
Shawn

sojourner

#4 Post by sojourner » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:06 pm

It seems you have explorer set to NOT display certain file extentions, otherwise BTH would appear as BTH.INF.

Try this, open explorer, click TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS, VIEW and uncheck "Hide extentions for known file types". There may be another setting or two we must change but try this first. After you accept the settings try looking at the INF directory again. Do you see .INF extentions? If so you're good to go!
2GHz Dothan (X60 C2D, X31 1.7 Banias), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD Multi-Burner, IBM 11b/g, Bluetooth II, Docks

shawn w

#5 Post by shawn w » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 pm

Ok, I finally found the bth.inf file, and changed it's name to bth.inf.MS bluetooth. then rebooted, this successfully stoped the default MS bluetooth drivers from loading. However now when I go to install the IBM bluetooth driver I get this message:

The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF file was written for Windows 95 or later, Contact your hardware vendor.

So currently the BT is not working at all. I guess I can go back and reinstall the windows driver, but would really rather have the one made for the computer. What can I do for this?

Thanks,
Shawn

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by killer » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Try using Microsoft Windows Update and select Custom rather than Express. You may find that you are offered installation of IBM Bluetooth.
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

shawn w

#7 Post by shawn w » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:03 pm

I tried letting it search windows update for drivers, but it didn't come back with anything at all.

Thanks,
Shawn

sojourner

#8 Post by sojourner » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Well, something screwy happened. I replied to you third post and do not see my reply!

I'm stumped as to why IBM software is giving you that message. What I'd do is this; from a fresh boot go to device manager, view, click "Show Hidden Devices" and be sure ALL instances of MS BT are uninstalled. Also, check to be sure errant devices are removed (eg, those under OTHER or those with red or yellow flags). Then uninstall IBM's BT software. Reboot. Reinstall IBM BT.

Let us know how you make out!

shawn w

#9 Post by shawn w » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:28 pm

ok gave that a try, upon rebooting it found the bluetooth adapter and tried to install the driver for it, but came back up with the same message, and didn't install the driver

sojourner

#10 Post by sojourner » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:52 pm

shawn w wrote:ok gave that a try, upon rebooting it found the bluetooth adapter and tried to install the driver for it, but came back up with the same message, and didn't install the driver
Do you have IBM's installation package? In other words you need a new (fresh) install of IBM's BT software. XP's redetection of BT at startup is not enough sometimes to get one up and running.

Here's an IBM BT III package:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-56963

There may be newer software but you'll have to check.
Last edited by sojourner on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

shawn w

#11 Post by shawn w » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Yes that is the package that I am using. The one that says it's missing part of it. Got it of the web site this morning.

sojourner

#12 Post by sojourner » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Well, this may be my last possible suggestion as I have no idea of what that software is looking for.

Try this:
1) Rename the BTH.INF.??? to BTH.INF
2) if you are certain IBM's BT software is uninstalled, reinstall it. Any error message?
3) if no error message (install went ok), before rebooting rename the BTH.INF to BTH.INF.MS BT
4) reboot

Let us know how you make out!

PS: I cannot help but wonder if because you have SP3 and this SW is designed for SP1+, if that is the problem. Perhaps the missing entry it is looking for is found in SP1 & SP2 and not SP3 :??:

shawn w

#13 Post by shawn w » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:25 pm

If I change the MS file names back to what they are supposed to be, as soon as go to install the IBM driver, it just installs the MS driver instead. Guess the IBM software is just dead. Sucks too, cause it's much nicer than the MS stuff.

I know they did change some stuff with bluetooth due to a vulnerabilty in bluetooth with service pack 3. I had the IBM software running with service pack 3 before I changed out the hard drive, but I installed the IBM software before service pack 3 was availible. I don't know what to do?

Thanks,
Shawn

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#14 Post by killer » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:18 pm

I had a look at my settings for Bluetooth in Device Manager and the drivers are all Broadcom. Now, how you get that set up like mine I really don't know. Maybe someone will be along soon with the knowledge?
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

shawn w

#15 Post by shawn w » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 pm

Anyone else have any tips for this? Or am I just stuck with the MS bluetooth?

Thanks,
Shawn

closersource
Freshman Member

#16 Post by closersource » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 am

As I recall you need to disable (or was it uninstall) the MS driver in Device Manager and install the IBM provided driver before turning the Bluetooth on. I don't remember the order in particular, but it absolutely does not involve editing files. Look around or trial and error it should work out with the posted IBM driver.
WORK: X250
TRAVEL: X220T
PAST: T42P / T61P / X61T / T400 / T410S / W520 / T430

sojourner

#17 Post by sojourner » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:42 am

How have you made out Shawn? Any luck getting BT Places to appear?

Ran across this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/en-us this morning which you may want to consider. MS tells us how to remove SP3. Perhaps as a last resort SP3 can be uninstalled, IBM BT installed, SP3 reinstalled. It might work!

shawn w

#18 Post by shawn w » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 am

No nothing I could think of ever worked. As a last resort, I could try unistalling service pack 3, and installing the IBM bluetooth driver, then reinstalling SP3. I am just worried about corruption of the registry with all the uninstalling, and reinstalling. Seems like that is pretty much the only option left though.

Thanks,
Shawn

sojourner

#19 Post by sojourner » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:42 pm

I appreciate your hesitation in uninstalling SP3.

Have you tried BT II software to see if it will install?
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-50245

So far as I know the only difference between II & III is the modem!! In version III the modem supports v.92 ... but do you REALLY need it?

May be worth giving BT II software a try!

shawn w

#20 Post by shawn w » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:48 am

Yeah I tried that too, but it just comes back with the same problem. Says part of the file is missing. It is definately something in service pack 3 that is messing with it. I guess if I ever have to reinstall the OS, I can fix it between sp2 and sp3 when updating. I don't really want to uninstall sp3 for this though. I have done that before with sp2 and it caused lots of problems when reinstalling it. Probably would work fine, but still ya know. Guess I am just stuck with the stupid MS BT driver for now, unless anyone has any better idea of how to get it to work.

Thanks,
Shawn

Terrahawk

#21 Post by Terrahawk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:59 pm

I have a T42p with Windows XP SP3 installed, and I have only just managed to get the IBM Bluetooth software installed in preference to the very basic looking Microsoft software. It turns out that you need to up update the driver for the Bluetooth device to the IBM one as the Microsoft one is chosen in preference most probably due to the fact it's digitally signed. The instructions in the site below mention to do it in the Device Manager.

I found the instructions at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-50245

I see you have most probably been to that page before.
Geoff.
T60P 2007-8JM / T60 1951-A35 / Z60M 2531-E9M / Tablet 1838-23M / Tablet 2 3679-27M
T410 2522-CTO / X301 2776-A17 / X201 3680-FAG / T420 4180-AQ3