Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Win7 and McAfee

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
MarkMcCarty

Win7 and McAfee

#1 Post by MarkMcCarty » Sun May 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Howdy Gang,

Have a Lenovo G530 with the T6400 processor clocked at two gigs and four gigs of memory. Came with XP overwritten on the factory-installed Vista. Recently had a virus, so I used KillDrive to wipe the drive. Tried to restore XP with restore discs, didn't go so hot.

So then I loaded Vista Business 32-bit from CDs that came with the machine, got Windows 7 business 32 and loaded it over the Vista install.

McAfee (the latest engine) has been running for close to 48 hours now and all indications are that there are more than 750,000 files on this thing. McAfee is checking only one or two files per second whereas on my Dell Vostro 200 with a Core 2 Duo, it checks about 10 to 15 per second.

Is McAfee still certifiably a no-go with 7 or is there reason to think I may have botched the OS installation? Or both? Thanks for any feedback.

Mark

GomJabbar

Re: Win7 and McAfee

#2 Post by GomJabbar » Sun May 23, 2010 10:12 pm

McAfee is slow to scan, but that does seem too slow. I'm am not sure what you will see with a SATA hard drive, but look at the following in Device Manager: IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers > ATA Channel 1 & ATA Channel 2 > Advanced Settings. Is it using Ultra DMA Mode 5 or Ultra DMA Mode 2 or PIO? If you see one of those options for your hard drive, it should be at least Ultra DMA Mode 5 (you will see one of these channels for your CD/DVD drive). PIO mode is very slow. Like I said, I don't know if SATA drives are listed quite the same as my IDE drive.
DKB

MarkMcCarty

#3 Post by MarkMcCarty » Mon May 24, 2010 10:19 am

I hadn't thought to check the drive settings mostly because I kept my mitts off the BIOS, and because nothing else about the machine strikes me as slow. I just find the performance of McAffee incredibly bad, but I also see the number of files on the Lenovo as way beyond nuts. It finally finished overnight and the final tally was more than 780,000.

Any comments on the number of files? Just seems way out of whack.

So I guess I have two issues: McAfee and the nutso number of files on this machine. I've downloaded some performance check on the thing and will run it later. If it comes back negative, I"m back to square one.

GomJabbar

#4 Post by GomJabbar » Mon May 24, 2010 10:59 am

I don't recall exactly, but it seems the number of files that Avira AntiVir scans on my system is around the same number as yours.

See also the reports at: http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews
DKB